Click To Enlarge
The present Church at Killegney was built on land donated by the Carew family. The preferred a more central location and one closer to their own estate.
The contract for the building of the building of the new church at Killegney was signed on the twentieth of September 1825 and the builder involved was Martin Day who was from Wexford town. The building was completed in 1827 and was consecrated from Wexford town. The building was completed in 1827 and was consecrated on the first of October of the same year. Thes coincided with the demise of the old church and by 1841 it was described as being 'in ruins'. The cost of the new church was approximately £870 and a loan was given for this amount by the Board of First Fruits. The searing was considered to be capable of accommodating 150 people. Shortly after the present Killegney church was built there was a census taken (cerca 1832) which tells us that the united parishes of Chapple and Killegney had 2,443 inhabitants, in an area 3.5 miles long by 3 miles across enclosing 6345 acres. Divine service was celebrated twice on Sundays in Summer and on the festivals and once on Sundays during the Winter months. In 1839, and elegant spire was added to the church as a generous gift from the then Lord Carew, who was created a lord in the Irish House of Lord's in 1834, and in the English House of Lord's in 1838.
At a select vestry in June 1923 a discussion took place raising the desirability of obtaining the gate lodge due to the imminent sale of the Castleboro estate, and Canon MacBeth took it on himself to approach Lady Cory as she was managing the estate after the death of Lord Carew. The outcome of this meeting was that she donated the gate lodge as a sextons house and some additional land to be used for church grounds. In the last century two general restorations of the church took place, on in 1912 and the other in 1958.
No history of Killegney church would be complete without mentioning the beautiful tapestries worked by Lady Cory, who was a very talented seamstress. She presented them to the church in memory of a W. Hill. These two beautiful tapesries depicting biblical scenes, 'The Good Shepherd' and ' Suffer Little Children', which hang in the chancel of Killegney on either side of the altar are a priceless lagecy, with many people coming especilly to view these very unique masterpieces.