A History Of Killanne Parish
Click To Enlarge
The dimensions of the Protestant church built 1756 in the old Killanne grave-yard was: Length 50 feet- Width 19 - Height in the clear 12 feet. It was newly roofed in 1807. The iron gate was put up and inside; repairs were carried out in 1811. Painted in 1824.
A resolution passed 1826 to build New Church. This was built in 1832 and Consecrated by Bishop Elrington 1833. The Bell put up in Church in 1841. Font in 1842 (cost £14.14.0) Cost of Bell £30. chalice of Silver presented by Mrs. Jacob 1788. Flagon and Plate given by Eccles, Commissioners 1838. Rectory House, as first planned, completed 1700 - added to 1829. Census return made to Royal Commissionars 1834 show Protestants in the parish to number 409.
From the notes of Rev. A.W.F. Cooper. Rector of Killanne 1898-1921
Dr. Jacob according to "Cotton Fasti" was apluralist which will account for non mention of his name in old Vestry minute books.
He was Treasurer of Leighlin 1765, Precentor of Armagh 1771, excharges Precentorship for Prebendary of Tynagh in that Diocese 1775, Archdeacon of Leighlin 1777. At this date Dr. Jacob's name appears for the first time in the parish Vestry book of minutes (in 1774) but he was evidently Rector for a good while before. He purchased the Wookbrook estate in 1752 and th old Church was built in 1756. Dr. Jacob died about 178622
Vestry Minutes in 1789 make provision for the enlargemint of the Old Graveyard - according to J.S. Cooper (Rector 1863-1898) this addition was never consecrated - his note is that the only burials in it in his time were those of strangers found drowned in the river near New Ross. The Ordnance Survey maps 1841, show the site of a Church and graveyard south of the road between Grange Crossroads and the gate of Grange House - where the lane crosses the road, about 300 yards east of the gate. There are no remains of this building left, nor any signs of graves there, but local tradition identifies the spot. Cooper states that "a man working in a field (whose people live close by) told me today that his old mother had often said she saw tomb-stones taken up in the feild where she was sowing his turnips (June 4th, 1909). This may possibly have been the Church of Killanne in the bads before 1756. There are also some other places in the parish where old Churches or Graveyards are said to have existed, e.g. Killeen and Askinvillar. The Church proper of Killanne parish, it is natural to suppose, must have always stood upon the site nearest to St. Anne's Well. Vestry Book shows that the old graveyard was added to in 1797 or 1798, the addition evidently being the low lying portion on the South - there are some very old graves there, probably those of persons killed in the time of the Rebellion".
The records of Killanne date back to